Updated Aug 28, 2015 to include information about “T.R.” by T. Man Pharma.
Several customers ask us what is the difference between these three products, so we made this page which we hope makes it more clear what you are buying. Well for starters, these are three different products manufactured by three different companies.
- Thyroid-S is manufactured by Sriprasit Pharma.
- Thiroyd is manufactured by Greater Pharma.
- “T.R.” is manufactured by T. Man Pharma.
There are several major differences between Thyroid-S, Thiroyd, and T.R. which affect the price/performance/storage of these tablets. We sell all three products Thyroid-S, Thiroyd, and T.R. and they all excellent products. However, Thyroid-S is a little more expensive, and there are some storage and performance differences, and we try to explain these differences below.
Filler Differences: Thyroid-S uses a filler which binds the active hormones more strongly than Thiroyd. We know this because we used a lab to measure the concentrations of hormones in both types of tablets. The results showed that Thyroid-S needed an extra step of solvent extraction to release all the hormones for correct measurement. We believe this will result in more stable tablet storage and a slower release of hormones after swallowing. Thiroyd dissolves easily and well, Thyroid-S is chaukier and is more difficult to dissolve. Click HERE to see our post detailing the extra step needed to release the active ingredients of Thyroid-S (fascinating stuff). We currently don’t have infomation about the fillers in T.R., we have requested it from the manufacturers, and we will update this post if we get it.
- Thyroid-S tablet is a light brown color and shiny.
- Thiryod tablet is white and matte finish.
- T.R. is a pink tablet with sugar coating.
All tablets are white or off-white inside. Here is a picture I made showing cross sections of all three tablets.
- Thyroid-S is a coated tablet.
- Thiroyd is uncoated.
- T.R. has a sugar coating.
Tablet Anti-Counterfeiting: The coating on Thyroid-S tablets is thin and distinctive and not easily duplicated by counterfeiters. Thiryod tablets are white and with no distinctive features and are more easily counterfeited. The sugar coating on T.R. is a distinctive pink color.
Packaging: (Please Note: This discussion on packaging is referring to the full bottle 1,000 tablets packaging. The small packs, ie. 30-250 tablets, are packed in sealed, re-closeable, moisture barrier bags as described in the product listings. The bottle packaging is not available in tablet sizes less than 1,000 tablets.)
- Thyroid-S is packaged in a brown glass bottle with metal cap, and with moisture absorber inside, and cotton to fill the extra space in the bottle. The glass bottle is inside a cardboard box with shrink wrap which functions as the security seal.
- Thiroyd is packaged in a white plastic bottle, and the tablets are sealed inside a plastic bag with moisture absorber inside.
- T.R. is packaged in a plastic bottle and includes a heat shrink plastic wrap. I was pleasantly surprised upon opening my first bottle of T.R. to find inside the bottle, the tablets are packaged in two sealed moisture barrier bags of 500 tablets each. Wonderful idea. Here’s a photo:
Factors affecting cost: The glass bottle and metal cap of Thyroid-S packaging is more expensive to produce. Because the glass bottle is substantially heavier, it is more expensive to ship also. Shipping costs are approximately US$3 more for Thyroid-S than Thyroid/T.R.. The Thyroid-S and T.R. tablets are coated, which is a more expensive process than uncoated tablets.
Factors affecting storage: The thyroglobulin in Natural Desiccated Thyroid is quite stable for long periods if stored correctly (cold, dry, and dark). Thyroid-S is packaged in a dark glass bottle, which protects the tablets from moisture, oxygen, and light. Thiroyd and T.R. are packaged in a white plastic bottle, which does not block moisture, oxygen, and light as well. However, T.R. does include two individual moisture barrier bags of 500 tablets each bag. Thyroid-S and T.R. are coated tablets, which protect the active hormones better from moisture and oxygen than an un-coated tablet like Thiroyd. Thyroid-S fillers bind the active hormones more strongly than Thiroyd. We believe that due to these factors mentioned above, Thyroid-S will store better for longer periods than Thiroyd.
- Thyroid-S: The product lifetime of Thyroid-S is three years from date of manufacture.
- Thiroyd: The product lifetime of Thiroyd is three years from date of manufacture.
- T.R.: The product lifetime of T.R. is four years from date of manufacture.
If you like this original and helpful information, please give this page a “Google+1” click, immediately over on the right column, THANKS